In the News
Windermere Deaths: Gas Poisoning Suspected
A 36-year-old woman and a 10-year-old girl have died from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning during an Easter boating holiday.
The alarm was raised at around 4pm when Cumbria Police and an ambulance were called to a private vessel at a jetty on Windermere in the Lake District.
The woman and young girl, both from the Leyland area of Lancashire, were treated at the scene and then airlifted to Royal Lancaster Infirmary, where both later died.
A man, who was also on the boat near Bowness, was taken to the same hospital where he is still receiving treatment, Cumbria Police said.
Officers said they were unable to confirm reports that the deaths were the result of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Josh Kynaston, who witnessed the incident, said emergency crews had spent some time trying to locate the boat on the jetty.
He said: “They were trying to find the problem boat. Once they had found it, all the medics were out, all the fire brigade, all the police and they were trying to get to them as soon as possible because they knew straight away what what up, that they knew there was a problem with some gas leakage.
“Straight away they were dragging them out to the jetty because they couldn’t operate on them on the boat and then they were trying to sort them out as quickly as possible.
“The helicopter had to keep doing consecutive trips and they were immediately sending them off as quickly as possible because they knew it was fatal.”
A Cumbria Police spokeswoman said: “A 36-year-old woman and a 10-year-old girl, both from the Leyland area, were treated at the scene and then airlifted to Royal Lancaster Infirmary. Unfortunately both have since tragically died.
“A man, who was also on the boat, is still receiving treatment at the Royal Lancaster Infirmary.”
The spokeswoman continued: “Police are currently investigating the circumstances of this tragic incident and trying to establish the full facts about what has happened. The coroner has been informed.”
The incident was witnessed by businessman and star of the television programme The Dragon’s Den, Duncan Bannatyne, who posted a photograph of the scene on Twitter, saying: “Tragic accident over there I am afraid.”
For more information please click here