In the News
Safety warning after carbon monoxide poisoning puts three Morriston people in hospital
A safety http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/Safety-warning-carbon-monoxide-poisoning-puts/story-18365155-detail/story.htmlwarning has gone out after an elderly couple and a teenager suffered carbon monoxide poisoning at their Swansea home during the early hours.
All three ended up in hospital, and two family cats died, after becoming overcome by fumes from a boiler in the farmhouse in the Morriston area of the city.
Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service has now urged people to have appliances regularly checked and to have carbon monoxide detectors installed in their homes.
The incident occurred just before 3.50am yesterday when the three people called the fire service to report feeling sick from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning.
“On arrival, crews used gas monitoring equipment to confirm the presence of the gas, which was being omitted by a coal-fired boiler,” said a fire service spokeswoman.
“Two elderly occupiers, a male and a female, and one 16-year- old were administered oxygen therapy by fire crews until the arrival of ambulance personnel.
“Two cats which were present in the property died as a result of the gas.
“The casualties were conveyed to hospital via ambulance and fire crews ventilated the property using a positive pressure ventilation fan.
“The occupants have been advised not to return to the property until the appliances have been checked.”
Fire service training delivery manager Alan Sherman, who attended the incident, said: “Please make sure all domestic heating appliances are checked and maintained on a regular basis.
“Faulty appliances can have extremely serious consequences as this incident shows.”
A police spokesman added: “We were notified at 3.53am yesterday morning but the incident was dealt with by the fire service.”
Mid and West Wales has a website page containing advice on how to stay safe from carbon monoxide poisoning. It is available at: www.mawwfire.gov. uk/English/Safety/At-Home/ Pages/Carbon-Monoxide-Safety. aspx
For more information please click here