Take action now

Get your gas, oil, or solid fuel appliances checked every 12 months by a registered Gas Safe, HETAS or OFTEC engineer, recognisable by one of the logo’s you see here on the right.

Never use a gas, oil or solid fuel appliance if you think it is not working properly.

Never cover an appliance or block air vents, grilles, flues or air bricks.

Visit Safelincs and click here to buy your CO Alarm. 

It’s important when buying a carbon monoxide alarm that it is purchased from a reputable manufacturer and has the BSI Kitemark conforming to European safety standard BS EN 50291.

Audible alarms typically cost from £15, they can also be installed by a registered engineer or your energy supplier.

Always ask to see the engineer’s Gas Safe ID card.

Most audible CO alarms are battery operated, so you can take them with you if you move home or go on holiday. They now last 5-10 years.

There are also smart speaking alarms that you can silence from your phone without any extra hardware required. The alarm will message your phone and advise you if there is a problem.

Make sure you have a Gas Safety Certificate for all gas appliances, fittings and flues

At present, Landlords are legally obliged to provide a carbon monoxide alarm for solid fuel appliances and an up-to-date Gas Safety Certificate for gas appliances.