Mum raises awareness after daughter’s carbon monoxide death

Avril Samuel set up the a charity after her daughter Katie died from CO poisoning

A mother who tragically lost her daughter after she was poisoned in her own home is promoting National Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week.

Katie Haines, died in February 2010, just two months after her wedding, after being poisoned by carbon monoxide leaking from a faulty boiler.

She was found by her new husband and his father, both of whom suffered low level poisoning while trying to resuscitate her.

Tragically, Katie, who worked as a press officer at Oxford University, was pronounced dead on her arrival at hospital.

And her mother, Avril Samuel, set up the Katie Haines Memorial Trust in her memory.

The charity campaigns for awareness about the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning, and have donated audible carbon monoxide alarms to charities serving vulnerable people, and exhibited at university fresher fairs.

There is legislation in Ireland and Scotland making alarms mandatory in all new builds and rental accommodation, but nothing in Britain.

Mrs Samuel said: “Two boys died in Northern Ireland the same year as Katie, and they have really gotten behind it, but over here they are very slow. It is very important for people to be aware of carbon monoxide poisoning, particularly at this time of year.

“It doesn’t just come from boilers, but cookers, wood burning stoves, log fires – in fact any fossil fuels. People know to get smoke alarms, but they often think they will detect carbon monoxide too – but they won’t.”

“Katie was wonderful. It doesn’t get any easier talking about her, but I am determined to try and help others in her memory.”

Gordon Samuel, Mrs Haines’ father, said: “We could not be more proud of our darling Katie and we will work ceaselessly to keep her memory alive and to help spread awareness of the deadly Carbon Monoxide that took her life.”

The message of the Trust is to buy those you love a Carbon Monoxide detector this Christmas.

Watch the Trust’s film about Carbon Monoxide Awareness Here

For more information please click here