In the News
MEP warns of danger of carbon monoxide fumes
YORKSHIRE MEP Linda McAvan has joined forces with firefighters to raise awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.
They launched their awareness-raising campaign to coincide with a storyline on Coronation Street over the festive season, which sees character Fizz fall into a coma after inhaling fumes.
Ms McAvan has long campaigned on carbon monoxide safety, from harmonising manufacturing standards of carbon monoxide alarms in the EU to ensure no faulty detectors enter the market, to creating common minimum standards of hotel safety in Europe so holidaymakers from the UK are not at risk poisoning .
The latest campaign aims to improve the safety warnings on barbecues, which caused a number of accidental deaths in the UK last year.
Carbon monoxide is an odourless, colourless and tasteless toxic gas, which can be emitted from any faulty, wrongly assembled or misused heating or cooking appliance, petrol generator or vehicle engine.
It is often referred to as a silent killer.
Mrs McAvan said: ‘Too many people from Yorkshire have been the victims of carbon monoxide poisoning.
“We are asking people to be aware of the potential dangers and take the time to buy and fit a carbon monoxide alarm – with the certified BS EN 50291 standard – that could save them from this otherwise undetectable toxic gas.
“We are also working with the local primary care trust to ensure information is widely available about the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning as it is often misdiagnosed due to the flu like symptoms poisoning induces.”
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headaches, drowsiness, dizziness and nausea.
For more information please click here