Real life stories
If it hadn’t been for Katie (school friend of my daughter), we probably wouldn’t have acted so quickly when one of our Carbon Monoxide alarms went off. A recent Saturday evening, around 8pm, we contacted the telephone number displayed on the alarm. The phone was answered on the second ring and the gentleman who answered the call informed us that someone would be with us within an hour. The engineer from SGN tested the house for carbon monoxide leakage and detected a high level. He switched the gas supply to the house off completely.
After opening all the doors, he waited for a considerable length of time and retested. He did not leave until he had a zero reading and warned us not to try to reconnect the gas supply to the house. We contacted the boiler supplier as it was still under guarantee, being less than two years old. They told us that one of their engineers would come out on Wednesday. I am registered as extremely vulnerable due to my complex medical conditions, including rheumatoid arthritis. They said someone would contact us on Monday morning. However, my husband had to phone them as we hadn’t heard from them by 1pm. He stressed that we hadn’t any heating or hot water since Saturday. I was in considerable pain due to RA. They arranged for an engineer to come today (Tuesday). He has just left after repairing the fault in the boiler. At least we have hot water and heat. Thank you for setting up Katie’s Memorial Trust. Katie was a beautiful person and respected by her fellow pupils at Sutton High and beyond.
Thank you, Kate (Anna & Clare’s mother)