Jim Dobbin MP promotes carbon monoxide safety advice

Leading TV soap-opera Coronation Street will feature an episode over Christmas with one of its leading characters becoming seriously ill as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning. The cause was a faulty boiler repair undertaken by an unqualified friend as opposed to a Gas Safe registered installer.

To help local people stay safe, Jim Dobbin has teamed up with the Heating and Hotwater Industry Council to promote five tip to stay safe. HHIC are the representative body of the heating sector and want to make sure people do not suffer the same fate as Coronation Street’s “Fiz”.

The five tips are:


  • Make sure the heating engineer is Gas Safe Registered and ask to see ID.
  • Get your boiler annually serviced for safety and to save money.
  • As well as Gas Safe Registered an installer can also belong to the HHIC national Benchmark scheme which provides added reassurance regarding competency.
  • Fit a carbon monoxide alarm inside your home.Be aware of the symptoms of CO poisoning. Remember the six main symptoms to look out for according to Gas Safe Register: headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, collapse and loss of consciousness.

Jim Dobbin said: “Carbon monoxide poisoning is a deadly serious matter that is being highlighted by Britain’s favourite soap-opera. I’m pleased to be doing my bit my teaming up with HHIC and sharing their advice on how my constituents can keep safe and not end up like Corrie’s Fiz”.

HHIC’s Roger Webb said: “Our five tips are there to help people make the right decisions when it comes to their gas boilers and other gas appliances. We are really grateful to Jim Dobbin MP for helping to draw people’s attention to the ways they can stay safe. If highlighting these tips saves one of their constituents suffering the same fate as Coronation Streets’ Fiz, then it will be well worth the effort.”

For more information please click here