James Pettit

Dear Richard (Haines)

I sent the below email to my Group  this morning;

Good morning All,

Apologies for being rather morbid on a Monday morning (and another torrid day in markets), but having lost a very dear friend of mine and my wife’s as a result of a carbon monoxide leak in 2010 due to a faulty boiler and given that ‘Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week’ starts today in the UK, I urge you all to ensure you have a working carbon monoxide alarm at home. They can be purchased from any hardware store.

Carbon Monoxide is odourless, tasteless and colourless toxic gas which is produced by incomplete combustion of fossil fuels used in central heating systems, gas appliances and fires. CO can be emitted from any appliance burning combustible fuel, e.g. gas (mains or bottled), solid fuel (coal, wood, etc), petrol, oil or paraffin etc.

and have had a couple of notable responses:

“Such a good email to send James! My alarm went off a month ago now. If we did not have one I would have been dead. Ours was caused by the ivy on our house growing over the pipe that lets all the gas out!”

“I am very sorry to hear about your friend, but thank you for this. I think it is an area that too many people are very blasé about.”

“Thank you for making everyone aware of this James, I almost lost my brother and 2 year old nephew to this last year”.

James Pettit