Helston chimney sweep’s fire warning as winter draws in: Discount voucher

A Helston chimney sweep is reminding people to check their flues before lighting a warming autumn fire and is offering a discount to packet.co.uk readers. See below for the discount voucher.

Sir Sweep-a-lot covers the whole of West Cornwall, including Camborne, Redruth, Penzance, Helston, Hayle, Falmouth, Porthleven, Penryn and St Ives and is fully trained and experienced, with a public liability insurance certificate available at all times for inspection.

Using a brush and vacuum method of flue cleaning on traditional chimney flues he ensures that the sweeping process is effective while remaining dust free. In the case of flexible flue liners the newer ‘Power sweeping’ method is used to ensure maximum soot and creosote removal while being gentle on delicate stainless steel liner.

He said: “There are a number of factors that affect the efficiency of your chimney, and blockages are a key problem. Regular servicing by a qualified chimney sweep is essential. At Sir Sweep A Lot, we unblock your chimney as quickly and efficiently as possible, with minimum disruption to your daily routine. We carry out bird nest removal to ensure your chimney is completely free of blockages.”

Sir Sweep a lot’s guide to Carbon Monoxide Poisoning and Chimney Safety

Most people associate carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning with gas appliances. But there is more to it than that. You may not think an open fire or a solid fuel stove can pose a danger of carbon monoxide fumes. .

It is a lesser known fact that blocked chimneys or flues allow carbon monoxide to seep into your home and badly affect your health – or even kill you.

How can carbon monoxide build-up be caused?

Carbon monoxide fumes can build up due to a badly fitted chimney pot which can cause back pressure and send harmful fume emissions into the room. Similar problems can occur with open fires, stoves or oil boilers with chimneys or flues that are:

• Badly swept
• Un-swept for long periods
• Cracked or damaged
• Wrongly fitted
• Blocked for any reason

Common causes of blocked chimneys:

• Remains of chimney fire debris
• Birds nests and spiders webs
• Autumn leaves or foliage from climbing plants
• Building debris from repairs or renovations

Chimneys and flues allow carbon monoxide to invade living spaces without you knowing it. It has no smell or colour so you won’t know it’s there. The only clue will be that you or members of your family will feel unwell. At higher concentrations CO will cause you to collapse and possibly die.

Tel: 01326 554167 or Mob: 07540 101508
email: info@sirsweepalot.co.uk

For more information please click here