In the News
Carbon Monoxide Monitors May Soon Be Required By Law
Omaha Senator Sara Howard wants Nebraskans to be protected from carbon monoxide poisoning. That’s why she introduced a bill requiring detectors with alarms in any dwelling sold, rented, or for which a building permit is issued after September 1, 2014.
The danger with carbon monoxide is you can’t see or smell it, but at high levels it can kill a person in minutes.
Lincoln Fire and Rescue Captain Scott Wiebe says improperly ventilated stoves and fireplaces, as well as running cars, can lead to a build up of CO gas in enclosed or semi-enclosed spaces.
He says fire fighters deal with the gas everyday and a carbon monoxide monitor can be the difference between life and death.
“You may experience nausea, vomiting, flu like symptoms, but how often, in the winter months, when we are running our furnaces do we experience some of the similar symptoms. So, is it the carbon monoxide your are exposed to or is it the flue like symptoms that many of us experience, especially during the last influenza season,” Wiebe said.
Wiebe says if you suspect carbon monoxide in your home, get out of the house and call 911.
He says a carbon monoxide monitor may even alert your to a fire before a smoke detector will. That’s because a bi-product of fire is CO gas and the monitor may pick up on it before smoke develops.
Only homes with fuel-fired appliances, like a gas furnace or gas stove, would need a monitor, and homes with an attached garage.
The Health and Human Services Committee will decide if this bill will be debated on the legislative floor.
For more information please click here