Our History, Mission & Vision

Our History

Katharine Leah Haines (nee Samuel) – always known as Katie – was born on 31 January 1979 and was the daughter of Gordon and Avril Samuel and elder sister of Adam and Lydia.  Katie married Richard Haines on 12 December 2009 at St Mary’s Church, Fairford, Gloucestershire.  Tragically, on 18 February 2010, just two months after her wedding, Katie died of accidental carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning at her home in Wokingham. The Katie Haines Memorial Trust was founded in 2010 by Katie’s family to raise awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide and in time support and promote other charities that would have been close to Katie’s heart.

Our Mission

We exist because of a tragic accident. Our work is inspired by the life of the person we lost. Our mission is to raise awareness about the dangers of carbon monoxide and to prevent unnecessary loss of life. We are run by a committed group of individuals but rely on the help and support of others to ensure the dangers of carbon monoxide are prominent in people’s minds, particularly the most vulnerable groups in society – the elderly, children, university students and those living in low-cost accommodation.

Our Vision
  • Our vision is that everyone in the UK understands the dangers of carbon monoxide and takes preventative measures to make sure that they do not fall victim to it.
  • It is important to have all carbon burning appliances regularly maintained and serviced by an engineer qualified to work on that particular appliance and to check the engineer’s registration card.
  • Blocked chimneys or flues can also cause carbon monoxide to enter the home and it is important that they are swept regularly by a registered sweep.
  • Install an audible carbon monoxide alarm in all rooms where there are carbon burning appliances and remember to test them regularly – Test It Tuesday– and make sure they are within their expiry date.
  • Pack a CO alarm in your suitcase when staying away from home

Symptoms Checker

If you are experiencing any or all of the above symptoms, it could be an indication that there is carbon monoxide in your home, especially if the symptoms lessen when you leave the premises. If the symptoms persist, see your doctor and make sure your carbon burning appliances are checked by a qualified engineer.

Landlords’ Duties

The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 make it mandatory for landlords to ensure that gas appliances, pipework and flues provided for tenants are in a safe condition at all times. The rules apply throughout the UK and cover liquid petroleum gas (LPG) systems as well as natural gas. READ MORE

“We won’t rest until everyone in the UK understands the dangers of CO and takes steps to ensure they don’t fall victim to it.
It’s vital that all carbon burning appliances should be regularly serviced by a qualified engineer and one or more CO alarms installed.”

Gordon Samuel

Our campaign videos

Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week

Between the 20-26th November 2023, we will be raising awareness of Carbon Monoxide.

Losing Katie

If you suspect carbon monoxide, call 0800 111 999.

Carbon Monoxide Safe4Summer Advert

We’re all keen to enjoy these summer months. Planning a summer staycation? A trip in the caravan? Or a few garden parties? Remember, keep your carbon monoxide alarm close by, and never take a barbecue indoors. Whatever your plans... Be Carbon Monoxide Safe4Summer

CO Awareness Week 2020

Keep yourself and your family safe by maintaining and servicing all your carbon burning appliances regularly and by installing one or more carbon monoxide alarms.

Supporting Gas Safety Week 2020

Gordon Samuel, Father of Katie Haines - Supporting Gas Safety Week 2020

Precious Memories of Katie

We have deliberated at great length on whether to upload this montage of our beloved daughter Katie, taken from very personal family videos. We decided to release it as we feel it will bring home the reality of the void left in our lives without Katie.

Cause for Alarm

Two simple steps can protect against CO poisoning, as shown in our new video called #causeforalarm released by the Katie Haines Memorial Trust.

Wake Up! Video

Sound The Alarm
Carbon Monoxide Can Get You Anywhere!

Supporting Gas Safety Week 2020

Helen, Countess of Rosslyn - Supporting Gas Safety Week 2020

NEW – CO Can Get You Anywhere!

Sound The Alarm
Carbon Monoxide Can Get You Anywhere!

Gordon Samuel on ITV London News

Gordon Samuel on ITV London News Sept 18th 2017 - Copyright ITV News

Sound The Alarm

Our first short video on the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning in the home:

News Articles

Carbon Monoxide Scare Hospitalizes Swansea Family

SWANSEA (CBS) – A family of four is in the hospital after a carbon monoxide scare in their Swansea home....read more

Katie and KHMT in Arsenal Programme – Arsenal v Manchester United – 10th March

Remembering Katie As everyone knows, Katie was an avid Arsenal supporter and was lucky enough through her...read more

Be Gas Safe – RoSPA

Be Gas Safe – Reduce Carbon Monoxide Poisoning You can’t see it, taste it or smell it but it can...read more

Used for the like, share, comment, and reaction icons

Facebook Posts

Did you know that cases of hospitalisations and even fatalities from carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning involving BBQs and portable cooking devices occur every year in the UK?

During National BBQ Week (4-9 June), please be extra vigilant. Learn more about the silent killer 👇

☎️ Smell gas or suspect carbon monoxide? Call the National Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999 immediately.

www.notherngasnetworks.co.uk/co
... See MoreSee Less

3 days ago

The weather is warming up and camping season will soon be underway. 🏕

Whether you're pitching a tent or parking the caravan in that sweet spot, we want to ensure you're staying as safe as possible.

If you're planning to barbeque, remember NEVER to bring it indoors, even after it's been put out. BBQs omit poisonous carbon monoxide (CO), even hours after they have been put out.🍗🌭

Keep it outdoors, stay safe and have a great holiday!
... See MoreSee Less

3 days ago

Don't cut corners on your safety. It’s vital to have an annual gas safety check with a qualified gas engineer. Visit GasSafeRegister.co.uk to find a Gas Safe registered engineer near you and check their ID card before any gas work takes place. ... See MoreSee Less

4 days ago

#CORT2024 Second day of this fabulous conference. We’ve felt for so many years (14-1/2) that we’ve been knocking our heads against a brick wall. However, this year’s conference has been particularly enlightening. Do you realise the risks that pregnant mothers and the unborn child can face from CO and the steps being taken to data share across organisations? Plus so much more and, not to forget, the fabulous people who are forging their way in carbon monoxide research and awareness. ... See MoreSee Less

4 days ago
#CORT2024 Second day of this fabulous conference. We’ve felt for so many years (14-1/2) that we’ve been knocking our heads against a brick wall. However, this year’s conference  has been particularly enlightening. Do you realise the risks that pregnant mothers and the unborn child can face from CO and the steps being taken to data share across organisations? Plus so much more and, not to forget,  the fabulous people who are forging their way in carbon monoxide research and awareness.

The CO Research Trust in awarding research grants is providing an insight into the cause and effect of carbon monoxide on the body. #CORT2024. ... See MoreSee Less

5 days ago
The CO Research Trust in awarding research grants is providing an insight into the cause and effect of carbon monoxide on the body. #CORT2024.
Load more