Jane Flannery – November 2013

Dear Richard, Gordon and Avril,

I wanted to tell you about what happened to me on Saturday afternoon. Stuart and I returned home at about 6pm to hear our carbon monoxide alarm going off. We called the National Grid helpline, who advised that we go into our flat to check all of our appliances and turn off our gas meter, neither of us know how to do this and I refused to enter the property. We spoke to our downstairs neighbour who joined us in the front garden to wait for the technician to arrive.

He arrived about 30 minutes later and initially checked our boiler which was fine and then checked our downstairs neighbour’s flat. They discovered that his boiler was producing CO, this was then disconnected and both properties aired to make them safe. We later discovered that his boiler was over 20 years old and he couldn’t remember the last time it was serviced.

I just wanted to say thank you for all of your work in promoting this causes as this is the reason we have a CO alarm in our flat. It really made me realise that even though we have a new boiler and have alarms, it can come thorough from other properties.

Please keep up the good work.

Best wishes,

Jane Flannery