About Us

Our History

Katie Haines (nee Samuel) was born on 31 January 1979.  She was the daughter of Gordon and Avril Samuel and married Richard Haines on 12 December 2009. On 18 February 2010, just two months after her wedding, she died tragically of accidental Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning at her home.  The Katie Haines Memorial Trust was founded in 2010 by Katie’s husband Richard and her family to promote awareness of the dangers of Carbon Monoxide and in time support and promote other charities that would have been close to Katie’s heart.

Our Mission

We exist because of a tragic accident.  Our work is inspired by the life of the person we lost.  Our mission is to raise awareness about the dangers of carbon monoxide and to prevent unnecessary loss of life.  We are run by a committed group of individuals but rely on the help of other people to ensure the dangers of carbon monoxide are prominent in people’s minds – most notably the vulnerable groups in society such as the elderly and university students living in low cost accommodation.

Our Vision

Our vision is that everyone in the UK understands the dangers of carbon monoxide and takes preventative measures to make sure that they do not fall victim to it, such as buying an audible alarm, having burning appliances checked regularly and taking an alarm when travelling abroad.